From the Providence Journal
RI Philharmonic led by new conductor Bramwell Tovey
celebrates birthday No. 75 before a packed house at The VETS
“The Rhode Island Philharmonic celebrated birthday number 75 on Saturday night before a packed house at The VETS. And that sort of longevity is no small feat for an arts organization these days.
“There was no cake, though, no popping of champagne corks, just the orchestra’s new conductor, Bramwell Tovey, at the helm of his first full season, and for a little glitter, famed pianist Yefim Bronfman rattling the rafters with Rachmaninoff, the composer’s epic third concerto….” Read more!
“I am tremendously excited to be back in Rhode Island to begin my first full season with this wonderful Orchestra. I am especially thrilled that my friend ‘Fima’ Bronfman is joining us for his Providence debut. He is one of the great artists of our time, and is fantastic to work with. I know the audience will love him just as much as the Orchestra. The opening concert is a great example of what we’re working to do all season long—bring incredible music and artists to the stage of The VETS and deliver unforgettable performances. We’ve programmed masterworks, pieces seldom heard, and a good many pieces and artists that will be featured in Rhode Island for the first time. We hope everyone in the community is as excited as we are for opening night!”
Artistic Advisor and Conductor
About Bramwell Tovey, Artistic Advisor and Conductor
- As Artistic Advisor and Conductor of the Rhode Island Philharmonic Orchestra & Music School, Bramwell Tovey embarks on his first full season leading the Orchestra.
- Since his appointment last September, Mr. Tovey has collaborated closely with staff and musicians to plan for this and future seasons.
- During the 2019-20 season, he leads the Orchestra in 19 performances, and nine concert programs.
- A Grammy and Juno award-winning conductor and composer, he is also Artistic Director of Calgary Opera Company and Principal Conductor of the BBC Concert.
- Currently Music Director Emeritus of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra (VSO) following his 18-year tenure as Music Director.
- During the 2019-20 season, Mr. Tovey returns to the Philadelphia Orchestra for its annual Christmas concerts and New Year’s Eve Gala and will lead the New York Philharmonic’s Parks Concerts in summer 2020.
- A favorite guest conductor of the world’s finest orchestras, Mr. Tovey has led the New York Philharmonic more than 150 times.
- He has appeared with the New York Philharmonic several times on PBS’s Live from Lincoln Center and on tour throughout the United States and China.
- In 2007, he won the Grammy for Best Instrumental Soloist Performance with Orchestra for a recording of violin concertos by Barber, Korngold and Walton with violinist James Ehnes.
- Mr. Tovey splits his time among Calgary, London and Providence. He credits his devotion to music education to his children, who have inherited his love of music. His daughter, Jessica, is studying violin at Boston University; daughter Emmeline is a voice student at Royal Northern College of Music in England. His son, Ben, is a guitarist who lives in London.
Subscriptions are available
for as few as four concerts
Email: email@example.com, call: 401-248-7000 or visit: the RI Philharmonic Orchestra Box Office, 667 Waterman Ave., East Providence, (Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.).